Local Transportation: Improve on-time delivery and increase workplace efficiency with Motorola two-way radios
Your customers rely on you to consistently deliver their packages or freight to the right place at the right time. Meeting that expectation requires reliable, clear communications that enhance business processes and reduce opportunity for delays. From dispatch to warehouse to drivers, rugged, reliable Motorola two-way radios keep your personnel in constant contact, allowing them to safely deliver higher levels of on-time performance and improved customer satisfaction, while at the same time reducing operating expense.
Driving fleet efficiency to new levels
Local transportation companies continue to be faced with challenges in today’s competitive market where customers are demanding greater flexibility and ontime delivery. Maintaining constant communications with a mobile workforce is essential to not only meeting these demands but also helps to enhance employee safety. At the same time, transportation
companies are also dealing with rising fuel costs, with today’s increasing traffic congestion taking these costs even higher.
Motorola two-way radios and accessories help address these difficult challenges with flexible, scalable communications that can streamline work processes and allow your entire staff to operate with the highest efficiency while reducing cost. Combining flexibility with enhanced functionality, Motorola radios meet a range of needs from coverage over a wide area to emergency notification. And with Motorola’s MOTOTRBO digital radios, productivity is improved even further with increased capacity, extended battery performance, enhanced audio, and unique data applications designed specifically for local delivery operations.
The case for two-way radio
Delivering goods to customers is a fundamental building block of any business relationship. Motorola two-way radios and accessories make it possible for your team to make their deliveries cost effectively, safely, efficiently and on-time. Here’s how:
Reduce fuel expense
Traffic congestion can not only delay deliveries, it can also increase fuel costs. Dispatchers monitoring traffic conditions can communicate alternate routes to drivers/operators in the field. Dispatchers can advise operators of last-minute changes in cargo requirements or pick-up schedules, avoiding unnecessary trips. And with the integrated GPS module in MOTOTRBO digital radios and location tracking software, dispatchers can identify vehicle locations in real-time and dispatch the closest driver to respond to pick-up and delivery requests.
Reduce operational expense
Making personal calls; driving through areas without adequate coverage; and paying monthly fees are some of the downsides of company-provided cell phones. With two-way radios, these issues are eliminated. Two-way radios incur no monthly fees and no per-call charges, which can save some delivery operators hundreds or even thousands of dollars per month. In addition, Motorola’s state-of-the-art IMPRES™ technology allows you to control the cost of replacing portable radio batteries with automatic battery maintenance capability that not only maximizes talk time but also optimizes the life cycle of your batteries.
Avoid delivery delays
Nothing creates customer dissatisfaction more than late deliveries. Two-way radios allow drivers to quickly notify dispatch about delays or issues with shipments and confirm delivery locations without having to find a phone or use personal cell phones. Furthermore, MOTOTRBO digital radios equipped with GPS technology can help management track valuable cargo, monitor assets and avoid delivery delays. And in the event of a vehicle breakdown, dispatchers can quickly send a replacement vehicle so that deliveries can continue with minimal delay.
Motorola two-way radios offer numerous ways to keep your mobile workforce safer whether they are on the road or at your facility. Transmit interrupt capability enables multiple talk group conversations to be interrupted for the delivery of urgent messages. Emergency notification capability allows drivers to quickly notify dispatch of a situation with just a push of the button. And when the integrated GPS module of MOTOTRBO digital radios are used with a location tracking application, dispatchers can identify the actual location of the drivers and immediately dispatch assistance to the site.
In non-emergency situations, dispatchers can send information to drivers using text messages that can be read later, allowing drivers to keep their attention on the road. And with Motorola’s hands-free audio accessories, workers at the warehouse or shipping dock can talk and listen to the radio while staying focused on the job at hand.
Extend radio coverage to keep drivers safe and cargo secure
The transport business relies on mobility and operates across an entire city or county. With this in mind, many Motorola radios operate on PassPort® analog trunking systems. With PassPort trunking, your workforce can communicate over 127 sites so communication is possible throughout your delivery area. In addition, the MOTOTRBO digital IP Site Connect solution enables you to link up to 15 repeaters to also create a wide area network, while at the same time providing the benefits of digital, including increased capacity, longer battery life, data applications and much more.
Drive from site to site without manual intervention
Drivers need to remain focused on the road while making deliveries as well as roam from site to site without losing connection or having to manually switch channels. Both PassPort trunking systems and MOTOTRBO IP Site Connect offer these capabilities to enable seamless communications without manual intervention. PassPort’s wide-area communications network automatically registers each radio with the new site and de-registers the radio from its former site, making travel across sites seamless. And MOTOTRBO IP Site Connect also allows your staff to seamlessly roam across up to 15 sites without manual intervention, so drivers remain focused on the road and not their radio.
Efficient, cost-effective communication among a large workforce
Efficient communication among your entire workforce is key to keeping operations running smoothly but obtaining new frequencies in order to add users can be challenging and expensive.
- PassPort analog trunking systems facilitate communication among a large workforce by enabling a large number of users to utilize a radio system with call priority assignments and queuing capability – the result is more efficient communication within a limited number of radio frequencies.
- MOTOTRBO digital two-way radio systems allow you to double your system capacity within your existing channels. This increased capacity can be used to add additional workers to your system, add data capability such as GPS-based location tracking or a combination of both to meet your business needs. The result is efficient and increased use of your licenses channels without the costs of obtaining additional infrastructure or channel licenses.
Clear audio even in noisy environments
Often warehouses, shipping docks, and delivery locations such as construction sites can be extremely noisy, rendering cell phones virtually unusable. Many Motorola radios feature X-Pand™ audio enhancement technology to ensure crisp, clear audio. And the noise-cancelling technology of MOTOTRBO digital radios helps to block background noise, sending only the voice transmission with crisp, clear audio to prevent misunderstood messages.
Workplace applications designed for local transportation
A significant advantage of digital technology is the ability to design applications that add even greater value to two-way radios, including:
- Location tracking: By using MOTOTRBO digital radios equipped with GPS technology, location software applications allow you to monitor vehicle locations in real time to more easily manage your fleet and optimize routes. And since the GPS module is integrated into the radio, there are no cumbersome external GPS devices to install and maintain.
- Dispatch: Dispatch applications enable monitoring and communication with your mobile workforce from a centralized location.
- Text messaging: Dispatchers can send text messages to MOTOTRBO radios so drivers can read them when conditions allow, rather than distracting their attention from the road.
- Work order ticket management: Dispatchers can send work order tickets directly to a driver’s radio. The driver can then close the ticket from the radio notifying dispatch of its completion and enabling you to track delivery cycle time for your customers.
- System management: Delivery organizations can use system management applications to remotely monitor and manage MOTOTRBO equipment for continuous system performance.
Rugged radios that provide road-worthy endurance
Your drivers and warehouse workers operate in a fast-paced, demanding environment. Motorola knows this and has designed ruggedized two-way radio equipment that stands up to those often harsh conditions. Motorola radios and accessories meet U.S. Military Standards and IP57 for submersibility in water. Portable radios and accessories are also available with an intrinsically safe option for use in locations where flammable gas, vapors, or combustible dust may be present.
Accessories for enhanced convenience and productivity
Motorola has designed a variety of accessories that add even greater flexibility, efficiency and worker safety:
- IMPRES Visor Microphone for MOTOTRBO mobile radios clips onto the visor and allows handsfree operation which enhances safety. IMPRES capability also helps block out much of the vehicle noise, improving audio so transmissions get through clearly.
- IMPRES Keypad Microphone for MOTOTRBO mobile radios enables users to send quick text messages back to dispatch updating status of pickups and delivery and traffic congestion.
- Heavy duty headset for MOTOTRBO portable radios provides improved audio as well as hearing protection in extremely noisy environments.
- Desktop Microphones and Tray with Speaker enables Dispatch to set up a mobile radio for use as a control station and quickly, easily and clearly communicate with drivers.